Thursday, January 31, 2013

Farm Gate Markets

January 20, 2013

On our Sunday morning in Hobart Michael snuck out early with the camera, binoculars and a thick coat to go bird-watching at sea. I wasn't sure how to amuse myself, as much of the city still observes this day of rest, but Liz knew the Farm Gate Markets would be worth a look. They're much smaller than the more famous Saturday Salamanca Market but I also found them more appealing. (I recognised quite a few stalls from the previous day's MONA market and here they were, much closer to town!) Stalls are focused very much on food: there are baked goods, juices, fruit and hot meals to eat on the spot; fresh produce, cheese and preserves for later; potted herbs and vegetables to grow yourself.

It's particularly worth noting that there are many vegan-friendly goods for sale, and even a couple of dedicated stalls.


Damn Vegan sells vegan convenience meals like bean chilli, potato curry and polenta squares, and they're very generous with their taste testing. I took home their gluten-free Lavender Cookie mix ($8) and gave it a go. They just needed some olive oil and water and baked into cute little shortbread cookies with a strong floral hit.


Liz wisely led me over to try Healthy Treats by Mrs Rees (note: they aren't all vegan). There were lots more generous samples - muesli squares, cookies, polenta-based crackers and two irresistible chocolate items - a chilli-warmed black bean cookie and chai-spiced chickpea brownie (~$4 each).


I also picked up a breakfast cookie, watermelon juice, bottle of elderflower cordial and half a kilo of the largest, sweetest cherries I've ever eaten. I couldn't fault the Farm Gate - I'd certainly choose it over the Salamanca and MONA markets for a repeat visit next year. It's doubtful that MOFO will rustle up a headliner as dear to me as David Byrne, but I think there'll be a next year regardless.

____________

____________

Farm Gate Market
49 Melville St, Hobart
6234 5625
http://farmgatemarket.com.au/

Accessibility: The market is located in a carpark with a sloped entry, although the bitumen may be a little uneven in places. The paths between stalls are wide (though they may be crowded) and the vast majority of goods are placed on standard-height tables. I'm not aware of toilet access.

____________


This is where Michael & the camera were while I visited the markets...



David Byrne...

... & St Vincent. And a glorious brass band.
And choreography. And magic. 

Faux Mo.

Xiao Xia

Like a Rick Rolling stone



2 comments:

  1. I didn't have any room in my carry-on only luggage to buy any of the goodies from the Farm Gate market, which was a shame. I will be better prepared next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em! I was feeling a bit regretful about my tight luggage situation too. :-)

      Delete