Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July 13-14, 2011: Toasty tahini granola (breakfast serial part xii)

I thought I'd done toasted muesli, that I had my best recipe and wouldn't be needing any more. Every other recipe I've ever seen before or since is full of oil and sugar and just doesn't seem right for breakfast. Then, a few months ago, Jennifer of It Ain't Meat, Babe posted a granola recipe that floored me. Instead of oil and sugar it used tahini and maple syrup. TAHINI. That is genius right there.

To be honest, the tahini isn't obvious in the end product (and I'm tempted to use a little more next time) but it is surely contributing to the unrivalled crunchy golden brown-ness of this granola. The maple syrup, pecans and coconut are just gorgeous but I'm sure I'll find myself tinkering with those too (moar coconut! different nuts! fruit juice!). But don't take these plans as any kind of slight on the original recipe - this granola has brought a smile to my face every morning I've eaten it (and for one 1am dinner besides).


Toasty tahini granola
(very slightly adapted from a recipe at It Ain't Meat, Babe)

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1/4 cup maple syrup

Preheat an oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with paper.

In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, pecans, coconut, flax seeds and cinnamon.

In a separate small bowl, whisk the oil into the tahini until smooth and then whisk in the maple syrup. (If the tahini is lumpy, try melting the mixture on the stove or in a microwave.)

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix them together - try to get an even distribution with as little stirring as possible. You might even like to leave a few clumps.

Spread the granola out evenly onto the baking tray. Bake it for 30-40 minutes, until evenly golden, stirring the granola at 10 minute intervals for even baking.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh yummy!! Loving the idea of tahini in breakfast! Any suggestions for a good replacement for the rolled oats? I'm trying gluten free at the moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You *might* like clumps? Clumps are the joy of granola! The pride and joy! :) I blogged a peanut butter maple syrup granola once and, like you, found that the nut butter flavour could've been stronger. Will plan to try this soon with extra tahini... and extra maple too, just because.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds really different, but i might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess! I'd suggest you take a stroll around a health food shop for alternative grains - gluten free oats are rare but do exist, and I'm sure there are other potential alternatives such as rice or quinoa flakes (which I must admit I have not cooked with myself).

    Hey Hannah - peanut butter, YES! I am baffled as to why I did not bookmark this when you posted it.

    It comes highly recommended, Laura. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea Cindy. I really didn't think it was possible to see a new muesli recipe, but love the addition of tahini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy the tahini took crunchiness & colour to a whole new level! I don't make granola too often because the constant stirring and oven checking Is a pain in the backside but this was worth it. Next time I will try with a different syrup and leave out the oil, I don't think it was necessary. Thanks for sharing yet another great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cindy and Michael. Thanks for blogging about this granola. I made it for the first time today (after being instantly entranced by the idea of adding tahini) and it's FAB. Thanks so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathryn - I knew the tahini would appeal to you at least as much as it did to me. :-)

    Welcome, Lyfina & Coby! I'm really glad you tried this and loved it as much as I did. This one's a keeper, huh?

    ReplyDelete