Monday, December 27, 2010

December 18, 2010: Chocolate beer waffles


Cindy spent most of the week taking charge of the kitchen in preparation for her birthday icecream potluck. I'm typically a savoury potlucker, so I was a bit short of ideas - in the end deciding to make use of our waffle maker to throw together some quick and easy accompaniment for all of the iceream. Cindy gave me a quick lesson and I was away - throwing the mix together is simple (although I still managed to forget the sugar in the first batch!) and the waffle-maker takes care of the rest.  These were a bit chunkier than Cindy's previous efforts and were tasty without being particularly memorable.  I'd be tempted to add a bit more cocoa next time to get a more powerful chocolate hit and I didn't detect too much of the beer flavour coming through.  Still, they were never going to be the main event, and added some variety to a table groaning under the weight of all kinds of frozen treats.

This waffle is pictured with peanut butter icecream.  A past potluck at Miss T's inspired this one but it didn't turn out as well as Cindy had hoped.  She wants to continue refining that recipe before posting it.


Chocolate beer waffles 
(courtesy of Vegan Brunch)

1 1/3 cups of plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup soy milk
3/4 cup dark beer (I used Cooper's stout)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and sugar.

Pour in the milk, beer, oil and vanilla, and mix until everything is combined into a doughy mix.

Turn on the waffle iron, spray with cooking oil and pour in the batter, cooking for about 20 minutes (at least in our machine).

2 comments:

  1. I loved the waffles - possibly the novelty factor because I don't have a waffle maker - but also they were chocolate and were the perfect accompaniment to the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering I love chocolate, beer and waffles this recipe would have to be a winner for me!

    ReplyDelete