Saturday, August 30, 2008

August 30, 2008: Tokyo treats - green tea chocolate

I've been a bit unsure of the green tea chocolate and consequently it has lurked in the cupboard, half-forgotten, for several months. The first bite was intensely herbal and a little bitter. This was not at all what I wanted from chocolate! Once that subsided I was able to appreciate the subtle sweetness and the perfect buttery texture as I chewed. I surprised myself by reaching for a second piece and tripped from revulsion to compulsion once again.

I still can't work out whether I enjoyed the ride. What I'm certain of is that Matt did brilliantly to include this uniquely Japanese snack in his collection of Tokyo treats.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm...I absolutely luuuurve green tea anything. And if it's in chocolate, well hey, I'm a happy girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mellie, you'n'your green tea Kit Kats were the first thing I thought of when Matt gave us this chocolate! I'm still curious to try some other matcha treats, maybe cake next...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued. LOve green tea. Have moments of chocolate passion. Can't imagine the combination. Buttery is a good hook though : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani, you're a better candidate for loving this than I! I'm sure there'd be some lurking around the larger Asian supermarkets of Melbourne too.

    ReplyDelete