Sunday, November 26, 2023

Oaty ginger crunch

November 10-11, 2023

   

One of Michael's running friends, Bayly, sent him home with a couple pieces of slice wrapped in foil and he kindly split them with me back at home. I'd never tasted anything quite like it! The base was dense and oaty, a bit like an ANZAC biscuit, while the twice-as-tall topping was sweet, fudgy and ginger flavoured. I think there were a few chopped pistachios sprinkled over it. This slice was ultra-buttery in the best possible way.

Bayly had explained to Michael that the slice is called Ginger Crunch, and it's well known across New Zealand. She gladly shared the version from Cloudy Kitchen she uses, and urged us to double the topping quantity. I obeyed when I gave it a go a few weeks later, timed specifically with a visit from my mum and her sister Carol.

The poor part of my timing was that I chose to make it late into an unusually hot night in Melbourne - I tried my best to stay patient but felt pretty flustered by the end. The topping is intended to be made in the last 5-10 minutes of the base baking but I took too long and the base over-browned (but didn't burn!) around the edges. Those edge pieces were pretty hard to bite into.

With all that extra topping, the quantity of slice was very large and I had to upsize on my baking dish. I should have upsized my baking paper (and possibly even double-lined the tray), because it was very difficult to detach from the pan. I stored the slice in the fridge but it was much easier to cut, and at its most perfect fudgy-buttery texture to eat, after a couple of hours at room temperature.

I sprinkled crystallised ginger over only half of the slice, because I wasn't sure how intensely gingery it would be. This was a good decision because Carol doesn't like 'bits', but I liked the textural contrast. A browse of Ginger Crunch online suggests that the rolled oats in the base aren't traditional either, but they're another welcome textural element for me.

With lots of butter and a dose of gluten, this recipe won't be for everyone, but I'll definitely make it again when there's occasion for it.


Oaty ginger crunch
(slightly adapted from a recipe at Cloudy Kitchen)

base
300g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
300g brown sugar
135g rolled oats
225g butter
90g golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

topping
270g butter
250g golden syrup
4 tablespoons ground ginger
650g icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
crystallised ginger, chopped


Preheat an oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm x 30cm high-walled baking tray with baking paper, making sure there's plenty of overhang.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger. Stir in the brown sugar and rolled oats until well combined. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt together the butter and golden syrup. Take it off the heat, stir in the vanilla, and then pour it all into the bowl of flour. Mix until well combined. Tip the mixture into the baking tray and spread it out until it's even. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden around the edges (I pushed mine a bit too far).

When there's 5-10 minutes to go on the base baking, start preparing the topping. Take the medium saucepan (no need to clean it) and set it back over medium heat. Melt together the butter and golden syrup. Whisk in the ginger. Sift in the icing sugar in batches and whisk it thoroughly to get rid of any lumps. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla. When the base is ready, pour over the topping and smooth it out. Sprinkle over the crystallised ginger and leave the slice at room temperature to set. 

You can store the slice in the fridge, but take it out for a couple of hours to soften before serving. It's challenging to cut when fridge cold!

3 comments:

  1. from Johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/ - I am hoping this comment goes through unlike a few days ago.

    Love the sound of this ginger crunch - I think I have heard of it but not sure where - sounds delicious with the ginger to cut through the sweetness. Sounds like it would go well with a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna - yes, absolutely perfect with a cup of tea!

      Delete