Saturday, January 21, 2023

Kale Mary II

Note: Kale Mary has now closed.

January 5 & 7, 2023

   

In my review of 2022, I noted my diminishing enthusiasm for brunches. The notable exception to this was Kale Mary, and sadly it just closed last weekend! I unintentionally made the most of their last two weeks in operation, visiting three times. 

   

Kale Mary have regularly mixed up their all-vegan menu, and the final version was split into breakfast, all day and lunch sections. There has consistently been original, delicious versions of avocado toast on the menu ($19): Michael's last one included charred corn, cashew ricotta, mint oil and almond pesto.

   

On the same visit, I browsed the toastie options and picked a filling from the list of specials (~$15): cauliflower cheese with optional pickled kale. This was original, fun and compact. I also took advantage of their drinks special, a lavender butterfly pea iced tea ($5) that was cold, clear and very floral, just barely sweet at all.

   

I insisted that we return soon for breakfast, so that I could try the pancakes ($18). They look little on this plate, but the modest stack was just right for me. Kale Mary somehow intuited my ideal pancake topping preferences - something creamy (coconut yoghurt) and varied fruits (including a saucy compote and dehydrated kiwi shard). The fruits were tangy enough that the maple syrup base was welcome. No icecream, fairy floss or lollies. It's a yes from me.

   

Meanwhile, Michael's breakfast yardstick is scrambled tofu, known as Mary's Eggs ($18) here. He like that they seasoned it with black salt for the eggiest vegan experience, but missed having a second piece of toast. Kale, charred corn and pesto all made repeat appearances in this dish too.

Kale Mary's staff were always warm and helpful and, as you can see above, the food was terrific. I found their menu to be truly distinct from what many veg*n cafes currently offer, and I'm going to miss them very much.
____________

You can read about our first visit to Kale Mary here.
____________

Kale Mary 
207 Albert St, Brunswick 
0493 572 466 

Accessibility: Entry was flat and and two doors wide. Furniture was well spaced throughout the café, mostly regular-height tables and chairs with backs, although a couple of high tables with backless stools and low lounge chairs were present. The toilet was an ungendered spacious cubicle with handrails and menstrual products available.

1 comment:

  1. What a shame they have closed. The menu looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete