Thursday, January 20, 2022

Pineapple crumble

January 15, 2022
   
   

Michael was away last weekend so I used the opportunity to cook with some ingredients he doesn't enjoy as much as I do. First up: pineapple. I bookmarked this Wholesome Cook recipe a couple of years ago because I'd never really thought of putting pineapple into crumble! But I really liked the idea of teaming pineapple with gingerbread spices and some coconut.

Everything about this recipe is nice without quite hitting on my personal preferences. The crumble is wholesome and filling, with lots of oats, some wholemeal flour, and limited sweetener. I think I was after something a bit lighter and more tropical - I could try less oats, lots more coconut and perhaps macadamias instead of almonds for round two.

   

The pineapple bakes to an impressive midpoint between sour freshness and fully-cooked sweetness, but with a crumble this sturdy I think I actually want that OTT sweetness. (Conversely, my more coconut-based crumble ideas could suit this style of pineapple perfectly!) The spices are present, but I could go for more ginger. I'm unsure why extra water is added to the fruit, because it just pooled in the bottom of my dish (you'll glimpse that in the next photo).

This version is good, though, on its own terms. And it has versatility! I enjoyed it equally with caramel macadamia icecream for dessert, and with yoghurt for breakfast.

   

Pineapple crumble
(slightly adapted from a recipe by Wholesome Cook)

3/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup wholemeal flour
2 tablespoons almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
75g butter, diced
3 tablespoons golden syrup
1 pineapple
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup water

Preheat an oven to 180°C.

In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the oats, flour, almonds and coconut. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the golden syrup until just combined. Pop the mixture in the fridge for a few minutes while you prepare the pineapple.

Remove the peel and core from the pineapple and cut it into chunks. Place it in a baking dish and sprinkle over the ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Pour over the water and stir it all together. (I would omit the water if making again.) Retrieve the crumble from the fridge and crumble it over the pineapple. Bake it all for about 25 minutes, until golden brown on top. 

Give the crumble 5-10 minutes to cool before serving.

1 comment: