Sunday, November 07, 2021

Staple

Update 12/06/2023: Staple is now closed, but the team are now involved with Croixssant.

November 1, 2021
 
   

Last Monday, we took the day off work and visited Point Cook Coastal Park with our mate Lisa. Afterwards, we stopped by Staple in Altona North for lunch. The Staple team have done their best to create a welcoming set-up in an otherwise stark industrial area, with cheerful signage and a new outdoor eating space with picnic tables and stripy umbrellas occupying a couple of parking spaces.

The Staple cafe and neighbouring grocery are extensions of the Take And Eat tempeh business, so we were eager to focus on their tempeh dishes for lunch. More broadly, the menu is default vegan with exceptions marked (a couple of dishes have vegan egg/chicken's egg versions, there's regular dairy-containing Nutella, and perhaps dairy milk available for drinks). The menu is full of bagels, burgers and toasties with recommended combinations and a build-your-own option with an overwhelming array of mock meats, spreads, salad items and condiments. There don't seem to be gluten-free markings, and the menu is clearly gluten-heavy, so coeliacs will mostly be taking a chance on what's on rotation in the cafe display case.

   

Michael's fiery tempeh bagel ($17, pictured top of post) arrived first and I was instantly envious! It's a bagel built up with cream cheese, lettuce, crumbed tempeh schnitzel, napoli, ham and fiery mayonnaise. It was a delightful mess to eat, and spicy enough to keep Michael entertained.

I ambitiously took on the mac n cheesy parma ($17.50, pictured directly above). It's a stack of mixed greens, creamy mac n cheese, thickly crumbed tempeh schnitzel, napoli sauce, melted cheese and nooch sprinklings, and a strip of bacon. While I'd prefer that my salad wasn't smothered in hot food, I couldn't fault the food itself, and with much joy and determination I cleared my plate.

   

A big part of Staple's social media posting is their array of pastries, so we felt compelled to grab a couple of donuts on our way out. The flavours are fun, and I'm impressed by the vegan custards and creams that some of them are stuffed with, but I find them quite bready and think that I probably prefer cakier donuts.

We had a lovely time at Staple filling up on gluten-heavy vegan treats, and relaxing in their outdoor area. The staff were really friendly, adhered carefully to COVID safety procedures, and didn't rush us through at any stage. While a meal in Altona is a rarity for us, it's easy to see why Staple would draw loyal veg*n customers from all across the west.

   

_____________

Staple has already won fans on Mamma Knows West.
_____________

Staple
37 Cabot Drive, Altona North
0493 102 414

Accessibility: Staple has a narrow door and flat entry. At the moment, much of the indoor furniture is pushed to the side and there is a lot of flat floor space. We ordered and paid at a low counter, and received our food at our outside table (solid picnic tables, bench seats without backs, and large umbrellas casting shade). Michael used a unisex toilet that was reasonably spacious (but didn't include handrails or other features) and was located upstairs.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this place looks like a very fun time! I had a look at their menu and that is a lot to choose from! I think the mac and cheese parmy would call my name as well, though I agree it would be better to have the salad to the side rather than underneath all the hot food!

    Also, can we talk about their fun list of drinks? I would have to get an iced strawberry, and then an iced taro as well to follow up. I am guessing they use cow milk as their base, given that they seem to be charging extra for non-dairy milk (rude).

    And those sweets? Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, we can DEFINITELY talk about the drinks! Although I didn't confirm with the cafe, I have the same theory as you about cow's milk being the default. I love an iced chai but not so much with this kind of meal, so I missed out this time - I would be keen to try it paired with one of the sweet snacks. And it's fun that they've got an extended range of iced drinks, I'm accustomed to it being just iced coffee/chocolate.

      Delete
    2. I hope you get to try some at another trip! We are both fun drink enthusiasts!

      Delete