Monday, August 23, 2021

Peanut butter crinkles

August 22, 2021

   

Yesterday where's the beef? turned 15 years old. It holds a different place in my life than it did in 2006. I'm grateful for the few people who still read along, and for the many connections we've made along the way, but I think that continuing to update a non-monetised blogspot.com in 2021 has to be more about satisfying yourself than any imagined audience. It's serving that purpose.

On the 15th anniversary of this blog's first post, I forgot to buy a pretty slice of layer cake from Gloria and photograph it with a lit candle as I had intended. Instead, I went on a long bike ride in lovely weather with Michael, picked up some frozen La Panella pies to enjoy in the locked-down weeks to come, and baked these peanut butter crinkles with ingredients I already had at home. They're not very glamorous, and now the blog post is a day too late to properly mark the occasion.

That doesn't really bother me. The recipe is from my paternal grandmother, who was an excellent baker, and it's the one recipe that I have in her handwriting. It's very simple, and I find the combination of lemon rind and peanut butter in a dessert a little unexpected. I don't think the biscuits taste very lemony, but the rind definitely adds a little something, and brings them closer to the flavour that I remember. I've not tried veganising them, but I bet they'd be just dandy with margarine instead of butter.
 
   

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 15 years! A mighty effort. I've been reading for quite a few of them.
    That writing looks so familiar to me - very like my mother's.
    Your grandmother, my mother, from the same era? My mum, long gone, was born in 1917.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your message, Margaret! Yes, you've got the era about right. :)

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to your blog!
    Im a relatively new reader but enjoy your writing and recipes.
    The above recipe reminds me of the page in my mum’s handwritten book titled
    "Cakes suitable for fêtes" -all are in pounds and ounces and use "butter or substitute"
    Best wishes for your continued success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda - thanks for your well wishes. I'm very fond of these kinds of recipes you describe! Another one that I have from this grandmother (in my own handwriting) uses dripping for the fat component.

      Delete
  3. Happy 15 years! I always enjoy reading along. Looking forward to many more posts to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I always appreciate your visits here. :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on 15 years of fabulous food blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! You're one of our few active blogging elders these days. :D

      Delete