Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Power Plant

Update 18/06/2023: Power Plant is now closed.

March 30, 2019



Power Plant has been developing an excellent reputation for the past few years all the way up in Templestowe. Lisa and I had an opportunity to stop in for a snug breakfast on a drizzly day while Michael and a few of his mates were embarking on the Oxfam Trailwalker nearby.

Power Plant is situated in a commercial building, but it's been fitted out in a casual, comfortable style, with a long arc of windows and bench seating, golden-hued wood furnishings and cheery spots of colour. The menu is entirely vegan, with the requisite novelty lattes and kombucha, and dishes that are arranged with a minimum of six components and a sprinkling of edible flowers. Even if that approach sets off my cynicism, there was a lot that actually looked really good: a Spanish chickpea omelette; a brekky burger stuffed with tofu, a hash brown and avo; a bumper teriyaki bowl...

Ultimately I stayed on brand and ordered the cinnamon French toast ($18.50). Edible flowers aside, it was a charming homely version, squidgy with cherry and apple compote and showered with coconut. I'm not usually looking for icecream at breakfast time, but this little scoop was lovely. Power Plant also served me up the largest, loveliest almond milk chai ($7) I've ever drunk!


The staff were attentive and friendly, and kindly split our bill (though I think they'll divide at most three ways). It's rare that I find myself in Templestowe, but whenever I'm even remotely close by I'll be seeking excuses to pop back in to Power Plant.

____________

Power Plant has received positive reviews on blogs little vegan bear, Veganopoulous and Mamma knows north
____________

Power Plant
2-6 Swilk St, Templestowe
8838 1282
food, drinks
https://www.powerplantcafe.com.au/

Accessibility: Entry is flat and furniture is reasonably spaced; a mixture of bench seating and chairs with backs. We ordered at our table and paid at a low counter. Toilets are located outside of the cafe in the main building.

1 comment:

  1. I don't go to templestowe often but thanks for the reminder that we really need to go to plant power - I like the sound of a vegan spanish omelette

    ReplyDelete