Thursday, April 04, 2024

Sani

February 25, 2024

   

Sani is located close to us and I've tended to ignore it. I always thought it looked like a big, fancy wine bar that wasn't really my style. But Michael came upon it while googling around for a local brunch option and we were up for giving it a go (... I hadn't even noticed that it was open in the mornings).

The menu is very vegetarian-friendly, with a few good well-marked vegan options (fancy avo toast, sago pudding, mushrooms on corn bread) and 'low gluten' options (they're not willing to promise a coeliac-clear experience).

Michael ordered Turkish eggs (again; $25); here they're poached, served on a bed of labneh and chilli butter, covered in za'atar and soft herbs, with a spinach and ricotta borek on the side instead of toast. It was novel and rich, and just the refuelling Michael needed after his run.

   

I went for the grilled haloumi ($24), which turned out to be another paired-plate situation. The three seared haloumi slices were judiciously topped with roasted pepper gremolata, carrot velouté, extra carrot slices and chive oil. On my second plate were two large and perfectly flaky empanadas stuffed with well-seasoned potatoes and cauliflower. Though I was thrilled with all of it, I sent a third of my meal in Michael's direction.

These were unexpected and fun brunch dishes - I wondered if these were actually designed as share plates for later in the day, but they worked regardless. I'm sure we'll be back when our appetites are up to the task!
____________

Sani
63 Lygon St, Brunswick East
9020 7952

Accessibility: Sani has a shallow-ramped entry and clear walkway through the main areas. Furniture is medium-spaced regular-height tables with backed chairs and cushioned benches. We ordered at our table and paid at a low counter. We didn't visit the toilets.

No comments:

Post a Comment