Sunday, April 28, 2024

Fluffy Torpedo

March 30, 2024

   

We've been curious about but never made it to Fitzroy's Fluffy Torpedo, an icecream shop with sour strap lollies embedded in the flooring and an array of unusual flavours including Vegemite & white chocolate and Mountain Dew & Oreo. This year we've eagerly awaited the opening of a second Fluffy Torpedo closer to home in Brunswick.... so eager that when they posted their intention to open, I was there within the first hour!

The wild array of flavours did not disappoint (click through the menu at the bottom of the post) and vegan options are listed clearly up top. We had to have two scoops each to really give them a go ($9.10 each; 1 scoop is $7.20). Michael ordered a cone with the vegan coconut cream lime marmalade, and the dairy-based salted licorice, while I stacked a cup with the vegan sour green apple juice iceberg lettuce sorbet and the dairy-based salted lemon curd salted crispy crackers. 

   

Every scoop was as fun as it was creative. I could clearly taste the lettuce in my first mouthful of the sorbet, though my taste buds rapidly desensitised and just enjoyed it as a refreshing, fruity sorbet. The lemon curd-cracker combination had the creaminess, tang and contrasting textures that I love in a cheesecake. It's got me excited to try some of the more daring flavours on a future visit, like the buttered baguette. Others, like the marshmallow grape Aeroplane jelly pink salt and the musk sticks Eclipse mints, are probably never going to be my bag.

On that note, the interior design of Fluffy Torpedo is a little baffling to me. There's plenty of space but I don't think they've best used it yet in terms of queuing guidance or comfortable seating. I found the bright colours and variety of curios arranged around the shop to be haphazard and even a bit overwhelming. Time will tell whether they're a draw for others or if they're adjusted to ease the flow of customers. As it is, the fascinating flavours of Fluffy Torpedo are plenty to enthuse me for a revisit.

   
____________

The Fitzroy outlet has received a positive reviews on ElsewhereBriefly and mamma knows north.
____________

Fluffy Torpedo
213 Sydney Rd, Brunswick
7044 7745

Accessibility: Fluffy Torpedo has a flat entry and wide queuing strip. There are backless bench seats inside and backed metal chairs outside. We ordered, paid and picked up our orders at a low counter. We didn't visit the toilets.

2 comments:

  1. from johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/
    This is on our list but Sylvia keeps wanting to return to Luther's Scoops lately. We got to the Fitzroy Fluffy Torpedo last year and I loved the vegemite and white chocolate ice cream. I also loved the decor with sour strips in resin for the floor and the little metal tasting spoons were cut out of a piece of metal that was then used for seats outside and it looked amazing. Hope to visit and check it out soon in Brunswick. Iceberg lettuce in an apple sorbet sounds fascinating - though I am not sure how much flavour iceberg has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought that the Vegemite & white chocolate isn't for me, but perhaps I need to try it! Glad you and Sylvia have had fun at the Fitzroy outlet, though I can understand why Luther's Scoops might be a priority - they really are wonderful.

      Delete