Sunday, May 03, 2009

May 2, 2009: Ray III


With all of the new breakfast options popping up around the place, it's been a long time since we made it up to Brunswick to visit our old favourite Ray. Not much has changed in the intervening months - same laid back, slightly disorganised staff, same Middle-Eastern inspired breakfast menu and the same divine coffee.

We both decided to try something new - Cindy went with the French toast with sweet labna and maple syrup ($8 - see above). The Turkish bread makes a particularly good French toast, and the combination of labna and pistachios works nicely. It was probably a bit heavy on the maple syrup, and could have used a bit of fruit to mix things up a little. Still, at $8, this is an oustandingly good value sweet brekkie.

As much as I love the poached eggs at Ray, I decided to branch out and try the Baharat baked beans with chilli, labna and toasted pide ($8.50).

This was a rich savoury delight, heavy on the chilli and loaded up with a wide variety of beany goodness. Again, the bread was top notch, and the whole meal really hit the spot - by the end I wasn't even regretting the lack of eggs.

It's nice to see that Ray is keeping things steady - great breakfasts, amazing prices and delicious coffee. You can read about our previous trips to Ray here and here.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Ray's. It has been a while. I was there the other day, but only had a coffee. Good to know their food is still up to scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rays. My favourite brekky place in Melbourne. Although my friends say I have to try Big Mouth, New York Tomato, and some Bird place - can't remember name, think its on Gertrude?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the reminder - went there years ago and loved it - obviously need to put on my list to revisit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bunches, I don't think the menu's changed at all since we first visited Ray a couple of years ago. I don't care when it's this good!

    Ten Dollar Meals, that last one'd be Birdman Eating, which we've visited once and liked. New York Tomato's on my to-try list too. :-)

    You're welcome, Johanna. :-)

    ReplyDelete