Saturday, February 26, 2022

Rusty's Sandwich Parlour

February 20, 2022
   
   

The sun came out on a quiet Sunday, so Cindy and I decided to finally visit somewhere new for a meal. We walked to Rusty's, a newish place in Brunswick East that's part of Melbourne's growing obsession with fillings between bread. It's a very basic setup - a counter, a drinks fridge and a couple of stools - we grabbed takeaway and wandered around to a nearby park to eat. They've got a solid range of vego options - four of their ten sandwiches are vegan, and there's an eggy vego one as well.
 
   

Cindy ordered the Shroom - mushroom escabeche with vegan feta and watercress ($14). It's mix of finely chopped, marinated mushrooms and onions with a surprising sweetness bursting through. I couldn't resist the vegan sausage - vegan salami with vegan fior di latte, watercress and chilli jam ($14).

   

I loved this - it mostly hinges on the store-bought vegan salami, and it's probably something that would be fairly easy to put together at home. Still, there's something really lovely about being able to go somewhere like Rusty's and grab a junky, spicy, vegan sandwich on lovely fresh bread. 

Rusty's is a great addition to the neighbourhood and one I'm sure we'll visit again soon - I'm very keen to go back and try their beet Reuben.
____________

There are positive reviews of Rusty's on Mamma Knows North and Messy Veggies.
____________

Rusty's Sandwich Parlour
189 Nicholson St, Brunswick East
9381 2005

Accessibility: There's a step up at the door. We ordered and paid at a low counter - it's basically takeaway only, just a few stools for dining in, and no toilets that we could see. 

3 comments:

  1. I wish Brisbane would develop a growing obsession with fillings between bread! We have burgers up the whazoo, and plenty of wraps, But what my heart really wants is just a whole load of fun sandwiches to choose from. All the sandwiches. Give them to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I completely agree with you - fancy (and especially hot) sandwiches are so fun! And I really do not visit Smith & Deli as often as they deserve, we are lucky to have them here.

      Delete
    2. I desperately wish we had something liek Smith & Deli here! I don't know why the Brisbane vegan scene is so lacking in sandwiches!

      Delete