Sunday, May 19, 2019

Smith & Deli brownies

April 19, 2019


I'm testing out a couple of different vegan brownie recipes in the lead-up to a special occasion. There are a few such recipes on the blog already, but I've still got the appetite to try more. 

The Smith & Deli cookbook was an obvious place to relaunch from. Their base recipe isn't too complicated; non-dairy yoghurt was the only ingredient we don't routinely have at home, and even it is easily found in most supermarkets now.

A large quantity of cocoa powder and a heaping cup of chocolate chips have these brownies looking very dark and rich, yet they're actually on the cakier side and not as deeply flavoured as I'd expected. I was able to strap a lunchbox of them onto the back of my bike to share with our friend who missed out on those shortbread cookies. These brownies were pretty great with a cup of tea, but I'm directing my search towards fudgier recipes next.


Smith & Deli brownies
(from Smith & Deli-cious by Shannon Martinez & Mo Wyse)

3/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups gluten-free plain flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup soy milk
1 cup chocolate chips


Preheat an oven to 170°C. Line a 22cm square baking tray with paper, and lightly spray it with oil.

With an electric beater, cream together the margarine, yoghurt, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Gradually beat these dry ingredients into the margarine mixture. Gradually beat in the soy milk until everything is well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Pour the brownie batter into the lined baking tray, gently smooth over the top, and bake for about 45 minutes - it's OK for the centre to still be a bit wobbly.

4 comments:

  1. Finding good vegan brownies is tough - vegan chocolate cake seems easy but getting the fudgy taste is much harder. Will be interested to see how you go with your vegan brownie quest.

    I made vegan brownies on the weekend for an election cakesale and found them a bit too cooked - the last time I made them they were fudgy so I want to try them again with less cooking time (the recipe I recommended on FB) but they do have a nice dense texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I think you're right that the baking time has an influence on the cakey/fudgy texture.

      Delete
  2. I can recommend this recipe, http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/brownies-and-bars/brownies/ultimate-brownies . It is a very dense mix but that seems key to avoiding cake. I usually use coconut cooking oil instead of vegan butter. I think the saturated fat helps. And I find caster sugar gives a crisper top. Comes out fudgy inside and chewy on the edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stef, thanks for your recommendation! This is a very appealing ingredient list to me - I like that there's both chocolate and cocoa in the batter and a pinch of coffee. I don't mind a bit of flax, either, as an egg replacer.

      Delete