Wednesday, January 07, 2015

The Cornish Arms III

December 27, 2014


We had a sneaky non-blogged trip to The Cornish Arms in mid-December and finally stepped beyond the mains section of the menu to discover the vegan option of the spicy chicken wings ($13). They were so good that we were back soon after for a second shot at them. They're a basket of crispily fried mock-meat with a batter not too far removed from KFC hot and spicy and a creamy aioli that soothes the chilli burn. And they are so freaking delicious! Go. Go and order them at once.


The only problem with ordering the chicken wings is that it really drives home how ridiculously big the main meals are. Still, we soldiered on - it was the holiday season after all. I tackled the stupidly gigantic vegan souvlaki - mock duck and chicken (both seitan-based) with salad, garlic sauce and chilli plus a bucket of chips and some tomato sauce ($20). My memories of this are slightly tainted by how full I was by the time I got through it all - the first few bites were out of this world: excellent mock meat, soaked in chilli, mayo-y sauce, but it gradually wore me down. I probably wouldn't recommend ordering this on top of the chicken wings, but on its own it's a pretty incredible meal. 



Cindy was smarter and looked to the more manageably-sized pizza menu, falling back on her faithful mock Hawaiian (strangely unblogged by us!). It's a combination of delicious mock-chicken and excellent facon with disgusting, sickening pineapple. Honestly, you pineapple pizza people are all monsters. Our dining buddy Clamps was more appropriate, ordering the chilli non-carne pizza, a modestly sized treat topped with beef and black bean chilli, corn chips, salsa, jalapenos, sour cream and a smattering of veggies. It looked amazing, but I was too far gone with my souvlaki to sneak a taste. Next time!

The Cornish is a Melbourne vegan treasure - at least for vegans who embrace junky pub food. There's almost nothing healthy on the menu - it's all burgers, pizzas and mock meat - but that's sometimes what you need, and the Cornish is getting better and better at delivering it. The pub's generally got a good vibe (it depends a bit on whether or not there's an open mic night going on), the beer taps are always diverse and excellent - it's a real winner.
____________ 

Read about our previous visits to The Cornish Arms here and here. Since our last blog post, it's been reviewed positively from a vego perspective by I Spy Plum Pie, Veganopolous, easy as vegan pie and Little Vegan Bear and by omni-bloggers I talk too much my mouth hurts, makelovetotheworld and A Chronicle of Gastronomy, who all enjoyed the food, although the latter two were let down by slow service.
____________ 

The Cornish Arms
163A Sydney Rd, Brunswick
9380 8383 

Accessibility: There's a flat entryway and a pretty spacious interior. Lighting is low without being ludicrously dim. Ordering and payment happens at the bar. The toilets are on the same level and are wheelchair accessible.

9 comments:

  1. Hey there, you should check Table by S in Peel St for Vegetarian Bibimbab and other vegetarian dishes as this restaurant does quite a fair few

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessss I feel the same way about the souvlaki! Divine when you bite in to it initially then gradually it wears you down. With the salad and chips it's a massive meal where I just feel a bit sick afterwards. I felt like that after the first souvlaki then had a panicked moment when I pulled out a piece of 'lamb' and my friend and I thought it was actual lamb but the waitress said it was definitely vegan and they don't have that kind of meat there anyway. Phew! But I was kinda hypnotised in to ordering it again the next time I went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Veganopoulous - I think this is a challenge across much of the menu, I feel the same way about the fish and chips. If only they'd do some discounted mini-meals!

      Delete
  3. Those wings are the best! And yes, pineapple on pizza is deranged and evil. I'm shocked, just shocked. What self respecting foodie has pineapple on pizza? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My problem is I tend to end up dining alone so I can't split it or I'd go with someone who eats meat and not interested in vegan food.
    I love the Cornish but I wish they offered a half portion at half the price.
    (Natalie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natalie - Veganopoulous above and I would be right there with you ordering mini-meals.

      Delete