Sunday, March 09, 2014

Edamame & walnut sushi

March 4, 2014


Johanna promised that this was a recipe for jaded sushi lovers. But I reckon it's been a year since we last rolled our own sushi at home (case in point: we had no idea where the sushi mats were stored in our 7-month-old kitchen) and I've rarely eaten it out in the interim, so I was probably easily pleased.


This is certainly a pleasing alternative to the usual run of avocado and cucumber in vegetarian sushi rolls - a sweet and salty, protein rich medley of walnuts, edamame and sesame seeds. I decided to team it with some julienned carrot, oblivious to but happily in sync with the original recipe.

We struggled a little to reclaim our rolling technique after our accidental sushi hiatus but formed three large edible-if-mishapen hand rolls - a lovely late-summer dinner.


Edamame & walnut sushi filling
(a recipe from Green Gourmet Giraffe,
where it's credited to Food and Wine)

1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup edamame
1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 teaspoons tamari
1/2 carrot

Prepare the basic nori roll recipe. While the rice is cooling, place the sesame seeds in a frypan and heat them for a few minutes until toasted. Remove them from the pan and return it to the heat.

Pour the oil into the pan and add the walnuts. Toss and toast the walnuts for a few minutes, until crisp and fragrant. Add the edamame, maple syrup and tamari. Keep stirring it all as it cooks until the sauce thickens, around 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and sprinkle over the sesame seeds, allowing it all to cool down for a few minutes.

Julienne the carrot. Arrange the carrots and edamame-walnuts as filling in the sushi.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it - am sure the carrot would go well as it is quite intense - we make sushi quite regularly but often without filling - though today I had avocado in mine - however I am not sure my sushi rolling looks as good as yours so I think your technique looks fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for sharing this recipe, Johanna! I must confess to photographing the best roll, not all of them looked this neat. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Ooh yum! I've actually never made sushi at home (I know, I know) but this sounds right up my alley. I eat it occasionally if I don't have lunch at work but avocado and cucumber can only take me so far. I need to get my hands on a rolling mat and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz - thankfully everything you need to get started is easy to find and quite cheap. :-)

      Delete