Sunday, February 22, 2009

February 17, 2009: Leftover makeover: rice-malt icecream

The parmesan herb risotto cake left us with a few ingredients that we rarely use. Miraculously, the ricotta and cream reminded me of my old kulfi recipe and I set about making a batch of icecream to complement the cardamom-heavy pepparkakor. Since sweetened condensed milk (another kulfi ingredient) isn't sold in tins as small as I wanted, I bought evaporated milk instead and tried sweetening the mixture with rice malt syrup. The rice malt syrup, I recently impulse-bought from Allergy Block without any particular plans for it. Its sweetness has a dark, caramel tone and slightly bitter aftertaste. For my final trick, I added some malted milk powder to boost the maltiness promised by the syrup.

The end result didn't quite match the moose as I'd hoped, but it's still an interesting and adult alternative to vanilla icecream.


Rice-malt icecream
(Measurements are approximate.)

185mL evaporated milk
150mL 'lite' thickened cream
150g light ricotta
1/3 cup rice malt syrup
2 tablespoons malted milk powder

Whisk together all of the ingredients in a bowl, and refrigerate the mixture until it's very cold.

Strain the icecream mixture and pour it into an icecream maker, churning it according to the manufacturer's instructions.

3 comments:

  1. He's adorable! How can you say food shouldn't have face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://fairestfeed.blogspot.com/2008/11/eggplant-wedges-and-penne-with-red-wine.html
    for the faux kfc seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, I tried not to look into his empty eyes as I ate him.

    Pip, I'm keen and your review might just muster up some enthusiasm from Michael, too - he thinks my KFC nostalgia is weird.

    ReplyDelete