Wednesday, March 05, 2008

March 2, 2008: "Chicken" parma

Between the East Brunswick Club's promise of vegan parmas and Sarah's recommendation of Fry's fake schnitzels, I developed a hankering for some crumbed fake meat. When we dropped by Piedemonte's after breakfast, it was actually Tivall brand vegetarian schnitzels that I spotted in the freezer. These go straight from the freezer to the oven and are ready in about 15 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised by the crumbing - not flaking off everywhere, nor too oily, and crisp - hooray! The 'meat' is pretty good too, though I think I'd be a little unsatisfied by these if I just squeezed over some lemon juice and dug in - the parma treatment was most worthwhile. All it took was a spread of tomato paste, a sprinkle of grated cheese, and a couple of minutes under the grill. The crumbing was still crisp!

On the side are carrots, parsnips and asparagus from CERES, roasted in olive oil, salt and pepper. The little fronds on the end of the asparagus blackened a little and had the most delicious charred flavour. Mmmm!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks very delicious! When I have snitzels I usually don't bother making a parma (you know, cause spooning out some tomato sauce and grating some cheese is just so much effort.) I think next time though I'm going to go all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like it, Sarah! No luck yet finding Fry's brand schnitzel yet. I took a look at my local Safeway (as recommended by Aduki) but nothing doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People, don't bother looking for Fry's products (although I have seen them in lots of Safeway stores) they are AWFUL. Tivall is the best and they have a good range (hot dogs, nuggets, drumsticks). Easy to find in Jewish neighbourhoods. Try Coles in Malvern, Balaclava, Bentleigh, Chaddy, Elsternwick etc.

    ReplyDelete