Saturday, November 11, 2006

November 8, 2006: Balti Indian Cafe

Update, 27/1/2019: Balti has closed down.


Making risotto cakes and gelato earlier in the week had me all cooked out, and I still needed to bake some more muesli for breakfast. Sufficient excuse for a takeaway dinner, I'd say. I denied myself an afternoon snack with the promise of an early Indian meal, and wandered over to the Balti Indian cafe when I finished work. The cafe has a very pleasant interior and I probably would have enjoying eating in, but I was all psyched up to go home, maybe watch what remained of The Cook and the Chef, and get some muesli into the oven. I picked out vegetable samosas, navrattan korma, basmati rice and a plain naan and they were ready in about 10 minutes.

I particularly enjoyed the samosas: the pastry was thin, crispy and not flaky; the centre was mostly smooth flavoured potatoes. The rice and bread both provided good support to the curry without being remarkable in themselves. I was underwhelmed by the korma: the potato pieces were very firm and I'm not a fan of peas; the spice blend was adequate but not complex or exciting. There was plenty leftover for my lunch the next day: by this time the sauce had deepened in flavour but I still wasn't thrilled by the vege combination. I won't be dragging Michael to the Balti cafe next weekend but it's a convenient and relatively cheap takeaway and I'm willing to sample more from their sizable list of veg mains in the future.

Address: 126 Lygon St, Carlton
Ph: 9663 9906
Licensed & BYO
Price: veg mains $10-12.50, bread and rice extra
Website:
www.baltiindiancafe.com
Categories:

No comments:

Post a Comment